Keywords and meta descriptions are an important part of on-page SEO (search engine optimization). They help search engines understand the content of your website and can influence how your website appears in search results. In this blog post, we'll walk through how to add keywords and meta descriptions in WordPress.
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard and navigate to the "Pages" or "Posts" section. This is where you'll be able to add or edit your keywords and meta descriptions.
- Choose the page or post that you want to edit and click on it to open the editor.
- Scroll down to the "SEO" section. This is where you'll be able to add your keywords and meta description.
- To add your keywords, simply type them into the "Keywords" field, separated by commas. For example, if your page is about "dog training," you might add keywords like "dog training tips," "how to train a dog," and "dog obedience training."
- To add your meta description, type a brief summary of your page in the "Description" field. This should be a sentence or two that accurately describes the content of your page.
- Once you've added your keywords and meta description, be sure to click the "Update" button to save your changes.
- Repeat these steps for any additional pages or posts that you want to optimize with keywords and meta descriptions.
It's important to note that the use of keywords and meta descriptions has changed over time. In the past, keywords were used more heavily as a ranking factor, but today, they are used more as a way for search engines to understand the content of your page. This means that it's more important to focus on writing high-quality content that is relevant to your audience rather than trying to stuff as many keywords as possible into your website.
The same is true for meta descriptions. While they can still influence how your page appears in search results, they are not a direct ranking factor. Instead, they should be used to give users a clear idea of what your page is about and help them decide whether or not to click through to your website.
In conclusion, adding keywords and meta descriptions in WordPress is a simple process that can help improve the visibility and relevance of your website in search results. By focusing on high-quality content and accurately describing the content of your pages, you can help improve the user experience and increase the chances of attracting targeted traffic to your website.